Today is a new day! A new year is underway, and it is filled with potential as each new day brings a fresh start….a reset…a time to pause and allow the Creator of all things, God, our heavenly Father, to transform our lives one morning at a time. I’m talking 365 days a year.
A day becomes a week, becomes a month, becomes an entire year of seeking God and experiencing the transforming power of His presence 24/7…365. Can you imagine the possibilities? Every time I begin to imagine the possibilities of what God can do in my life, I am reminded of what it says in Ephesians 3:20.
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us.
Where do you need to see the power of God displayed in your life? What would happen in your broken relationships? Do you need a plan for your finances? Where are you struggling? Are you just going through the motions lost without purpose? Do you want to change, but just don’t know where or how to start?
The great news is that you aren’t alone! God is able to do immeasurably more than you can ask or imagine. That is an incredible promise straight from God’s word. As a child of God, His power (the Holy Spirit) is at work within you. If that doesn’t fill you with hope, I don’t know what will.
Too many times we live a defeated life because we simply refuse to unleash the power of the Holy Spirit in our every day lives. We look to God and call on Him for the really BIG things, but when it comes to our everyday lives, we approach it with an "I’ve got this" attitude. I don’t know why we do this, but, before you know it our prideful, self-sufficient attitude gets in the way and keeps us from experiencing immeasurably more that we could ask or imagine.
It’s time we set our pride aside…no, it’s time we hand our pride over to the Holy Spirit and exchange it for humility. We need to come humbled before God, and ask Him to take not just the big things but our moment-by-moment everyday lives also. Here are some passages of scripture I’ve incorporated into my time with God to help me become less self-sufficient and more God dependent.
- Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting you. Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you. Psalm 143:8
- Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. May your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing. Psalm 143:10
- Pride leads to disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom. Proverbs 11:2
- I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes. Fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones. Proverbs 3:5-8
- Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life. Psalm 139:23-24
Each day is filled with possibilities. Where we end up this year is determined greatly by how we begin each day. Will we set our hearts and minds on God, surrendering to His Holy Spirit, or will we let pride and self-sufficiency continue to reign over our lives? My prayer is that this year will be a year yielded to the Holy Spirit fulfilling the purposes of God in my life. What about you?